AMC CEO Adam Aron had mulled the idea of allowing texting in some theaters.
Moviegoers have spoken, and AMC’s proposal to open texting-friendly theaters “has been sent to the cutting room floor.”
Adam Aron, the new CEO of the movie theater chain, had mobile-addicted millennials in mind when he came up with the idea.
But now cinema lovers will have to continue to pocket their phones during the two-hour movie experience.
“In the age of social media, we get feedback from you almost instantaneously and as such, we are constantly listening,” Aron wrote in Friday’s statement. “Accordingly, just as instantaneously, this is an idea that we have relegated to the cutting room floor.”
Aron had previously said, in an interview with Variety, that when a 22-year-old is told to turn off the phone, they hear “please cut off your left arm above the elbow.”
However, it appears that mobile addicts will have to make due in the theater. Aron insisted Friday that AMC will have other ideas “to delight and entertain you.”
“We’ll continue to be as creative as we can to elevate the AMC experience, doing so in partnership with you, our guests, and never in a way that will compromise your love of coming out to the movies,” Aron said.