No way, no how, no Paul.
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) definitively ruled himself out for a 2016 presidential bid Tuesday, forcefully squashing speculation that he could emerge as the GOP nominee at a brokered Republican convention.
“Let me be clear: I do not want, nor will I accept the nomination for our party,” Ryan said at a mid-afternoon press conference Tuesday at the Republican National Committee headquarters in Washington.
“We have too much work to do in the House to allow this speculation to continue or to have my motivations questioned,” he continued. “If no candidate has a majority on the first ballot, I believe you should only choose from candidates who had participated in the primary.”
“Count me out,” he added. “If you want to … be President … you should actually run for it.”
“I chose not to do it, so I don’t want to be considered … End of story,” Ryan said. “I want to put this to rest once and for all.”
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) definitively ruled out any possibility of being his party’s nominee.
Ryan has said on multiple occasions that he would not run for president this year, but the constant denials have not put an end to rampant speculation that the young and charismatic speaker, who will also serve as the chairman of the Republican National Convention in July, could emerge as the consensus candidate in the event of a chaotic open convention.
If GOP front-runner Donald Trump falls short of winning the 1,237 delegates necessary to secure the nomination on the first ballot of the party’s convention, delegates become unbound and can technically support any person they want to. Ryan’s name had been floated as that person.
But on Tuesday, Ryan suggested delegates should put into place a rule that would allow them to nominate “only people who ran for the job” in the first place.
Despite his denials, rumors of a Ryan candidacy abounded once again Monday night as news emerged that he was planning a top-secret trip to New York next week to hobnob with “20 or so” GOP donors.